These Chia Cherry Lentil Muffins are perfect for athletes, a nutrient-rich breakfast and perfect to pack for tournaments. Each muffin has 210 calories and 5 grams of protein and is made with a whole grain base.
Chia Cherry Lentil Muffins
1 1/2 cups (370 mL) lentils, cooked
1/2 cup (120 mL) 100% orange juice
2 cups (500 mL) white wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
2 tablespoons (30 mL) chia seeds
1/2 cup (120 mL) sugar
1/2 cup (120 mL) vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup (120 mL) vanilla yogurt
1 cup (250 mL) dried cherries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Prepare 16 muffin tins with paper liners or non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine the cooked lentils and orange juice in a food processor until the lentils are pureed.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the pureed lentils, white wheat pastry flour and salt. Stir to combine.
4. Then add chia seeds, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla yogurt, and eggs. Stir to combine. Then add-in the dried cherries and stir to combine.
6. Pour 1/3 of the muffin mixture in each of the muffin tins. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Cool the muffins on a cooling rack.
Nutrition Facts (per muffin): 210 calories, 8 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 25 milligrams cholesterol, 160 milligrams sodium 32 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 15 grams sugar, 5 grams protein