By: Hannah Segur
Try out these energy bites that a perfect for someone on the go. Whether your playing a sport or just running around all day, these bites are a quick and easy way to get all the nutrients that are in a granola bar.
Almond Joy Bites
Makes 16-18 bites
1 cup oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup almond butter
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 packet chocolate protein powder (e.g. Klean Athlete or similar protein Powder)
1/2 cup coconut shavings
1. Add almond butter, vanilla, honey, and chocolate protein powder to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stir until the mixture starts to bubble. Heat for one more minute once it starts to bubble. Make sure to keep stirring at this point so the mixture doesn't burn. Remove mixture from heat.
2. Add in vanilla and sea salt. Stir until it combines with the mixture. Add in oats and sunflower seeds, mix until everything is combined. (Optional: if you don't want your chocolate chips to melt, refrigerate the granola for 15 minutes, or until it reaches room temperature).
3. Add in chocolate chips and coconut shavings and stir until they're mixed with the granola.
4. Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once your sheet is lined, use a spoon to scoop out some of the granola. Roll the granola around until it makes a ball. Place the ball onto the baking sheet and repeat this step until there is no more granola left.
6. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 1 hour. Once that hour is up, transfer the granola bites to a container and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (per bite): 160 calories, 9 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 15 milligrams sodium, 16 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 10 grams sugar, 5 grams protein